Tuesday, January 13, 2009

hostel 2 (2007) with dishonorable mention to hostel (2005)

...And then it was sequel time! I had no real belief that this one would
be good anyway, so no disappointment.
Hostel 2(electric boogaloo): First off, I did not really like the first one, so I really had no right to watch or review the second. But I digress. Let's visit the reason for this sequel: (money)

Hostel 1: I thought the premise was interesting and creepy, but the acting, dialogue and plot convenience stuff left the movie lacking for me.
A lot of people told me it was really gory, and I wish they hadn't because
that was one of the selling points, and I didn't find it to be gory at all.
implied gore can still be creepy, but it isn't gore. Remember when
they cut the cop's ear off in reservoir dogs? No. You don't. Remember they implied it though? They hold the blade up,
the dude gets in the way of the shot, and the camera moves away
and when we come back, his ear spot is bloodied.
Sorta like that. You don't see it happen!
It wasn't that it was not creepy, but I mean the amount of gore
that they actually show happening. I am a lover of gore in films, and
I've seen a lot of movies where you see everything that happens
while it's happening, not just the after math.

For those who tried to defend the film with specific gore parts to prove me wrong:

Achilles tendons: The scene doesn't show them being cut. You see dudes face when
the other dude heads toward the floor, and hear a noise and a scream. then when they show his ankles, they're already cut. You don't see it happen. Please watch Pet Semetary.

Fingers: Ok. This one you do see. And it's cool.

Torch: Nope. You don't see any of this happening. Dude is standing in the way
of this shot until he stops using the torch. then, he moves and you see a mess.

I'll give you creepy, but I didn't find much gore happened at all. Just aftermath. I hope that
helps to illustrate my gripe.

Back to Hostel 2: (frigs)Mostly the same, but with a female lead
and a loser plot, and waaaaaaaaaay more predictable. Shame, but
true.

Also, I have a question for anyone who managed to make it through this film:
What was with that deal that she tries to make with the dood near the end?
Does he strike you as a person who would (a) give a shit about his client's member?
(b) make a deal to save her life? Why would he care about sparing her life? Or his client?!
what?!?

And there were a few other things, but I don't want to rant too much.
This one left me going "Are you fucking kidding me?... And I said it a lot!

-Sleeve-

No comments:

Post a Comment